Zaikonospassky Monastery, an ancient structure only 100 meters from Red Square, will once again become an active monastery, the Orthodox Church’s Holy Synod has decided.
Founded by Boris Godunov in 1600, the monastery also housed Russia’s first university, the Slavik-Greko-Latin Academy, which later moved to the Trinity-St. Sergius monastery in Sergiyev-Posad. The monastery has been closed for 90 years, though Orthodox services have resumed in the monastery’s church in 1992, the Bogoyavlensky Cathedral (pictured), built in 1624.
Don't have an account? signup
Russian Life is a 29-year-young, award-winning publishing house that creates a bimonthly magazine, books, maps, and other products for Russophiles the world over.
PO Box 567
Montpelier VT 05601-0567