The famous socialist symbol of the collective farmer and worker has been fully restored and reinstalled near the World Exhibition Center (VDNKh) in northern Moscow. The 24-meter-high sculpture is made of steel and was designed by Vera Mukhina in 1937 for the Soviet pavilion at the Paris Exhibition. It was later moved to Moscow and became a symbol of Mosfilm, the largest Soviet film studio.
The statue was dismantled in 2003 for restoration and some skeptics doubted it would ever be put on view again, due to financial issues and unclear responsibilities of the various contractors. It cost Moscow about R1 billion to restore the monument.
Don't have an account? signup
Russian Life is a publication of a 30-year-young, award-winning publishing house that creates a bimonthly magazine, books, maps, and other products for Russophiles the world over.
PO Box 567
Montpelier VT 05601-0567