The world’s biggest country, in a magazine. Since 1956.
The first exhibition in more than 50 years of a lost masterpiece, an extraordinary set of Orthodox liturgical implements made in 1877 as part of the imperial dowry of Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna Romanova (1853-1920), the only surviving daughter of Russian Emperor Alexander II. She married Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, in 1874, and used this opulent silver set in her private chapel in the Clarence House British Royal Residence in London.
Objects from the set are being generously loaned to the Museum from a private collection, the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Sign, New York, NY, the Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Brookline, MA, and the Russian History Foundation, Jordanville, NY.